Posted on

Welding

evezor robotic arm welding

Today we handed our arm a welder. Let’s make a robotic welder!

Share the tools you already own

Our toolhead is a regular hand held welder, share the tools you already own.

This was a really fun project. Our robot is a better welder than I am.

The welder is an inexpensive 110V welder with flux core wire.

The toolpath was created with Inkscape.

[optinform]

Posted on

Plasma Cutting

Today we plasma cut some sheet metal

 

Automating a plasma cutter opens up a whole new world, with the ability to accurately and easily cut metals.

Our toolhead is a regular hand held plasma cutter.  The trigger is actuated by a small solenoid I pulled off an old copy machine

The stock material  is 12 gauge sheet metal and is mild steel.

The toolpath was created with Inkscape.

[optinform]

Posted on

3D Contour Milling

Evezor Tobotic arm with milling routing toolhead

3D Contour Milling

Today we contour milled the letter P in some Brazilian cherry

Our toolhead today is a full size 2hp router with a 1/4″ ballmill.

The stock material is a laminated piece of Brazillian cherry between two pieces of pine.

The toolpath was created with Kiri:Moto. With all these projects, for better or worse, I tried my best to use open source software.

I would have made a tutorial on this if I didn’t have such a bad experience using the software. It’s not the worst software ever but made some unusual decisions with some of its toolpaths.

I will be looking for some better software, if  you have some suggestions please leave a comment.

Posted on

2.5D Milling

Today We Mill The Open Source Logo

 

 

Our toolhead today is a full size 2hp router with a 3/8″ 2 flute bit.

The stock material is a laminated piece of brazillian cherry between two pieces of pine.

The toolpath was created with Kiri:Moto. With all these projects, for better or worse, I tried my best to use open source software.  I would have made a tutorial on this if I didn’t have such a bad experience using the software. It’s not the worst software ever but made some unusual decisions with some of its toolpaths. I will be looking for some better software, if  you have some suggestions please leave a comment.

 

 

Posted on

Laser Cutting Tutorial

Today we lasercut the letter E into some cardstock

See Our Video

 

 

We used Inkscape to create the gcode for this letter.

We also created a tutorial so you can learn to make patters of your own. See it here.

 

 

 

Our toolhead here was just a little diode laser we source online that we put into a CPU heatsink and clamped to our arm.

 

[optinform]

 

 

 

 

Posted on

Glass Etching

Today we etched the letter U into glass

 

Our tool post, once again, was just a hunk of 2X4.  Then we used a hose clamp to secure the rotary tool to the tool post.

We used a diamond bit to do the glass etching and some lightly soapy water as coolant.

[optinform]

 

 

Posted on

Hot Wire Foam Cutting

Today we made the letter ‘S’ in foam.

The general frame was constructed with 2X2 and 2X3 wood pieces and a 6″ 1/2-13 bolt up the spine.
I used stainless steel wire for the element, but nichrome wire would have been a better choice.

links to the .svg file can be found on this project’s thingiverse page: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2194430

[optinform]

Posted on

Let’s Do Some Speed Tests

Just wanted to do some motion tests and some speed tests.
I believe we’re hitting the step limits for what Marlin is capable of.
It’s faster in real life than what the video shows off.

Banana for scale 😉

 

[metaslider id=307]